Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Urban Shadow Highlights V (Bath Marathon Plein air)

This is number 5 in the current  retrospective series of paintings that show the effect of light and shadows in urban space. All these paintings are of streets and places in the City of Bath. It's a wonderful city and the sand stone buildings are always beautiful under the light!

Urban Shadow Highlights V, 6" x 8", Oil on Board

TO BUY THIS PAINTING, PLEASE CLICK HERE

A lot of people ask me what my  main aim is, when I  encounter a scene I like. The main thing that runs through my mind is to simplify! Just say to yourself- How can I simplify what is in front of me- fewer strokes, fewer colours, this is where the ability to sketch comes in handy! I always see myself as a sketcher in colour, when I paint! I try as much as possible to edit everything that isn't necessary and I make up my mind about this as soon as I get there when I am sure I am going to paint a particular scene.


Just managed to get a picture before the large lorry blocked my view!

picture of the scene- you can see from the picture that there's just too much information. I only need what interests me! The light and a few other complimenting components. The rule is simplify, simplify, simplify!



SPECIAL QUOTE
"Attempt anything that catches your eye! It's only then that you'll discover the real thrill of painting outdoor!"-Adebanji Alade

2 comments:

Azra said...

You are so inspirational !! I can see how you've simplified and created a wonderful piece of art!!
i still haven't painted outdoors yet,I feel inspired to get my gear together and head to our nearest park,its such a beautiful day. : )

adebanji said...

I wish I'll be able to paint alongside you on your first sitting outdoor. It's great fun!
Just get them together! The weather is great now!